INTRODUCTION TO DISCIPLINED AGILE
Prerequisites: Basic concepts of agile methods such as Scrum useful but not required Audience: IT practitioners new to agile who want to get an effective start at agile solution delivery. Existing agile practitioners who want to take it to the next level. Senior IT Management who want to gain a deep understanding of how to take a disciplined approach to agile solution delivery. Agile practitioners who seek Certification in Disciplined Agile
DA 104: INTRODUCTION TO DISCIPLINED AGILE
Agile transformation is hard because cultural change is hard. It’s not one problem that needs to be solved, but a series of hundreds of decisions affecting lots of people over a long period of time that affects relationships, processes, and even the state of mind of those working within the change. Disciplined Agile (DA) is unique because it’s based on empiricism, industry data and adoption of proven practices. The result is a huge wealth of structured information that allows you to map your challenges into a tree structure of proven strategies that other people have found to work in practice. In effect you can apply DA to identify process improvements that reflect the actual situations faced by your teams.
Disciplined Agile (DA) allows you to choose your IT process for delivering sophisticated agile solutions in the enterprise. It builds on the existing proven practices from agile methods such as Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Lean software development, Kanban, Unified Process, Agile Modelling and others to include other aspects necessary for success in the enterprise. Discipline Agile (DA) fills in the gaps left by mainstream methods by providing guidance on how to effectively plan and kick-start complex projects as well as how to apply a full life-cycle approach, with lightweight milestones, effective metrics, and agile governance.
This workshop is not technical and is suitable for all team members. Many group exercises reinforce the principles learned. The workshop is also valuable for management tasked with moving from traditional approaches to agile.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Discover how all aspects of software delivery – architecture, design, testing, programming, leadership, quality assurance, data administration – come together in a cohesive whole.
- Gain hands-on experience with agile solution delivery techniques.
- Learn how to avoid costly agile adoption mistakes by starting with a full delivery life-cycle
- Discover how to tailor your agile process to reflect the actual situation you find yourself in.
- Introduction to Disciplined Agile (DA): Overviews key DA concepts such as the four delivery life-cycles, enterprise awareness, team roles, being agile vs doing agile, the importance of context, and taking a flexible, goal-driven approach. We also describe the roles and responsibilities that people take on DA team and team structures for small, medium, large, and geographically distributed teams.
- Inception Phase: Covers key activities for initiating a DA team, including initial requirements modelling, initial architecture modelling, initial release planning, strategies for your physical and virtual work environments, initial risk identification, and driving to a shared vision with your stakeholders.
- Construction Phase: Describes many technical strategies for building consumable increments of your solution, including test-driven development (TDD), acceptance TDD, how to initiate an iteration/sprint, look-ahead modelling and planning, spikes, regular coordination meetings, continuous integration, continuous deployment, whole-team testing, parallel independent testing, information radiators, Kanban boards, burn up charts, and many more. In this module we also look at agile construction from a traditional point of view, showing how activities such as architecture, analysis, design, testing, management, and user experience (UX) are addressed all the way through the life-cycle.
- Transition Phase: Overviews strategies for releasing the solution to your stakeholders.
- Summarizing the Workshop: A Retrospective.
- Attendees earn the designation of “Disciplined Agilist”, with free first year membership and full benefits. (value US$50)
- One Certified Disciplined Agilist test attempt written wihin 30 days of the course end date. (value US$200)